Friday, January 3, 2014

Why This Blog? pt 1 Honesty

Something which seems ingrained into us is the propensity to lie about and hide our flaws. Not only does this create a culture of deception and isolate us from those around us, it's actually harmful to our attempts to improve ourselves.

It's as though i think i can hide my flaws from others while working on remedying them, leaving my friends to think i'm doing better than i really am. However, the wall i put up to hide the parts of me that i don't like, also keeps those who love me from being able to truly see me and either come to my aid when i have trouble or to help check me when i'm getting ready to make a mistake. The result is that i'm left to struggle on my own, proud and isolated, and my friends don't really know me. It's a sad price to pay to keep our egos intact (and who do we think we're fooling, anyway?)

My goal in this blog isn't to teach You but rather - to the best of my ability - give an accurate and honest account of my life in the hopes that You'll be encouraged to live Your life a bit more honestly as well. For the next year (at least), i'll use this blog to share with You stories from my day to day life, both the ugly and the pretty, the happy and the sad. Some days i'll be the hero, others, the villain. But whatever the day, i'll always be me. No masks or lies to hide behind.

Perhaps that degree of honesty makes You uncomfortable. Perhaps You're already perfectly honest and don't struggle with social pressure to maintain an image. Perhaps You're already perfect. 

But i'm not. 

I am who i am, and i want to be honest about who that man is. If and of that interests You, i'd love to have You come with me on this journey. We can travel across this confusing landscape together, finding answers to hard questions and understanding ourselves a little better as we go. 

The pursuit of honesty will at times be difficult, but i believe what's at the end of this adventure will be more than worth the cost of getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment